I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

zondag 28 juli 2013

The making of:"too long exposure"

A while ago I contacted Shane Balkowitsch who is hosting the Mask Series.
I volunteered to make a plate also.
For this series about 150 wet platers from all over the world
are using a gas mask in their work.
More about this series you can find at the special weblog:
http://wetplatemaskseries.com/
 
It took me a while planning the ideas how to make this plate.
As usual my car was fully loaded.
This time including a boxed skeleton!
After setting up all the needed equipment I realized that I forgot to take my
special box holding unused clean plates
...................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

That's THE worst nightmare which can happen.
In one of my boxes I only had 2 dibond plates which
I once received for testing.
So that was the only material available for the moment.
The protective foil was leaving some residue so I still
had to clean them with alcohol and water.
Doing this in the field is always a pain the ass
as cleaning might cause flawswhich of course happened.

But with some failures we managed to make a
decent plate which will be send to the US.


For the making of video click : HERE
 
"Too long exposure"
26x26 ambrotype made on dibond
7 seconds exposure time
Dallmeyer 3A at f8
 
 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten