I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

maandag 8 september 2014

"The Image Maker...."

As usual I already had this picture circling in my mind for months.
First I planned to make it inside a library or so but then realized that
it would fit much better in the series when made outside again.
The risk is always the weather but yesterday the weather gods were with us.
Cloudy but bright. So perfect weather to make a wet plate.
Again Johan Verhulst was hosting this shoot with his beautiful garden
but he was also the model.
Normally he’s behind the camera so this were his first modeling steps....
While making  the first plate I pulled out the slide of the holder while the cap wasn’t on the lens.
So don’t know the exact exposure time but it came our surprisingly well.

We made some minor changes on the set up and made 3 other plates.
As always the last one was the best it and it turned out to be the fastest shoot I ever did.
Plate was made within 2 hours!

As Ferry wasn't the model this time he was able to make some pictures of the shoot itself.

26x26cm black glass ambrotype
exposure time 6 seconds
Dallmeyer 3a at f4






















1 opmerking: