I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

dinsdag 12 juni 2012

Found original head brace

UPDATE,

Nigel from Hongkong has send me a picture which was published in The telegraph recently.
It shows some people posing for a picture. Nigel pointed me at the headstand they were using. Although it is not the exacty the same one as i found at Bievres it comes very close regarding the design.

Nigel, many thanks for sending me this picture !

If anyone has more info about my stand, please let me know.






From the beginning on i have been using a homemade head brace.
It was made from several parts as a cast iron table leg, microphone stand etc.

Last weekend i visited the largest open air Photographic fair at Bievres. Beside some other interesting things i was lucky to find an original head brace!
They are extremely hard to find as they have been used only for a short period (daguerreotype and ambrotype).

Most parts are made of cast iron. I will have to do a search about its original colour as now it has an ugly fade yellow, greenish colour.
Any one has suggestions about its original colour? You can turn it in several directions and even change it to stand height!
I have not been able to find a manufacturers name yet.

Can you imagine how many posers have been using this brace more than 150 years ago?


4 opmerkingen: